Skip to content
Content starts here

Hooksett School Nurses

April Fraser

Underhill School

603-623-7233 ext. 7168

Jessica Grovo

Memorial School

603-485-9890 ext. 6157

Charlene McCarron

Cawley Middle School

603-518-5047 ext. 5138

School Nurses are nursing professionals that strive to advance the well-being of students and staff within the school environment. School Nurses promote healthcare and safety by handling the daily health issues that arise at the schools where we practice.


Below is some information on common public health illnesses:

Does Your Child Have Health Insurance?

If Not…

Please visit this website for information about medical assistance with the state of New Hampshire


Sixth grade: Students entering 6th grade need to have a physical on file by the first day of school. A physical done after September 1, 2022 will be considered current. A copy of the updated immunization record must be supplied.

All new students need to have the following by the first day of school:

  • Current physical or appointment card if scheduled for a physical. Students will not be allowed to try out or participate in interscholastic sports if a copy of the physical or appointment card is not on file.
  • Copy of their immunization record.

Students will not be able to start school if these requirements have not been met.

Student Illness

Your child will need to stay home from school and see their PCP if needed for the following symptoms:

If your child’s temperature is 100.4 or higher, keep your child home from school. Your child should be fever-free for 24 hours (without fever reducing medication) before returning to school.

Mild Cough/Runny Nose
Keep your child home from school, call your child’s doctor and have them seen by their PCP or  tested for COVID-19 if advised. Environmental or Seasonal allergies may cause mild cough/runny nose. If your child has any allergies that may cause these symptoms, please provide appropriate medical documentation to the school nurse.

Bad Cough/Cold Symptoms
Keep your child home from school, call your child’s doctor and have them seen by their PCP or tested for COVID-19 if advised. Cough and cold symptoms can also be symptoms of COVID-19 and or Flu.

Diarrhea and/or Vomiting
Keep your child home from school, call your child’s doctor and have them seen by their PCP or tested for COVID-19 if advised. Diarrhea and vomiting are symptoms of COVID-19.

Sore Throat/Strep
Keep your child home for school and call your child’s doctor and have them seen by their PCP or tested for Streptococcus. If your child is diagnosed with Strep Throat, they may return to school 24 hours after antibiotic treatment begins.

It is never too late to get vaccinated against COVID-19 and influenza. For more information on the flu please visit the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services website: 

The below symptoms may require medical attention

Your child needs to see a doctor when complaining of an earache.

Pink Eye:
(Conjunctivitis)– redness/drainage from eye(s). Pink eye is highly contagious. Most cases are caused by a virus, which will not respond to an antibiotic. Bacterial conjunctivitis will require an antibiotic; your doctor will be able to determine if this is the case. Your child must be on medication at least 24 hours before returning to school and/or no longer experience drainage from the eye(s).

Children with an unexplained skin rash should see a doctor, as this could be one of several infectious diseases. If your child is sent home with a rash, he/she will need a physician’s note to return to school.

These guidelines have been updated for the 2023-2024 school year and may change based on Centers for Disease Control recommendations.

If at any time you have questions, please feel free to contact your child’s school nurse.



  • 6 Years of age and younger: Four or five doses, with the last dose given on or after the 4th birthday.
  • 7 years of age and older: Three or four doses, with the last dose given on or after the 4th birthday.
  • Grade 7-12: 1 dose of Tdap is required for entry into 7th grade. A Tdap vaccine given on or after the 7th birthday meets the school requirement for 7th grade.


  • Grades Kindergarten-Grade 10: 3 or 4 doses with last dose given on or after the 4th birthday adn the last 2 doses separated by 6 months or more
  • Grades 11-12: 3 doses, with the last dose given on or after the 4th birthday or 4 doses regardless of age at administration


  • Grades Kindergarten-Grade 12: 2 doses; the first dose must be administered on or after the 1st birthday


  • Grades Kindergarten – 12: Three doses at acceptable intervals.


  • Grades Kindergarten-Grade 12: 2 doses with the first dose administered on or after the 1st birthday OR laboratory confirmation of immunity. History of natural immunity without lab confirmation of immunity is NOT acceptable.

For more information about the State of New Hampshire Immunization Requirements, please visit:

2023-2024 NH School Immunization Requirements 

Please call or email your child’s school nurse if you have any questions regarding your child’s immunizations or other health requirements.

Medication in School

At David R. Cawley Middle School: Over the Counter Medications such as Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and First Aid Treatments can be administered with parent/guardian written consent. 

ALL OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATION PERMISSION FORMS NEED TO BE FILLED OUT YEARLY. All parents can complete the over the counter medication form online via:

Any prescription medication that needs to be administered during school hours must be accompanied by a signed health care provider’s order and also signed by the parent.

The medication must be in the original container, properly labeled with the student’s name, the health care provider’s name, the date of the prescription, name and strength of the medication and directions for taking the medication.

The medication is to be delivered to the school nurse or Principal by a parent or responsible adult over the age of 18.


  1. Ask the health care provider for a prescription medication note.
  2. Ask the pharmacy for a second bottle with a label so you have a labeled bottle for home and school.


The link to the prescription medication form is here: